Saturday, July 21, 2007

Funk

Whattaya do when you're in a funk? We all have those bad days, but whattaya do...when you're really...in a funk. My knee injury has been the biggest challenge I've received in quite some time. I'm so used to performing at a high level, and even when I'm not feeling my best, my machine is generally in good running order; however, this time the body is offering a resounding NO, and I'm forced to oblige. Trust me, I've tried telling it yes by physically forcing it, but I can only get going consistently at about 40%.

The last couple of weekends I've continued to try and play with my softball team, The Devoted Dozen...yet my immobility has rendered me as useless at first base as Bill Buckner - well, at least I'm getting my glove on the ball. (Sorry, Bill, it wasn't a big deal to me, I was cheering for the Mets all those years ago...I guess you'll always be there for the taking) Needless to say, I was born to run and thus, I play Centerfield - Presently: Not an option. Hitting with full strength coming from the lower body - Presently: Not an option. Walking up the stairs to the parking lot after the game - Presently: A much better option. Trying to play at a lower level only serves to frustrate, and I can honestly say I see why pro athletes sit when they've got a hang-nail...OK, maybe not. I'll just hope to help out the team in any capacity, and for my Kirk Gibson moment here in the waning weeks of the season!

I really want to see Michael Moore's SICKO, but I know that will just throw some dirt on top of the funk! I'm currently uninsured, and I hoped to grab my old plan through AEA (Actors Equity Association), but no dice...you've got to have 10 years of "eligibility coverage" (Consistent work weeks through the union) to offer your own premium payments over an indefinite amount of time. So, I turn to SAG (Screen Actors Guild) to find an option...after getting my hopes up I see that HMO coverage is a cool $689/month, through their discounted affiliate. Can we say "North Dakota Mortgage..." ? So, I'm waiting for my sweet wife's new plan to take effect at her new job, and I'll slide on through her "more traditional" path of employment! In the meantime, I'll have to eat the cost of the MRI. If anyone has an MRI machine they wouldn't mind me using, let me know...it'd be cheaper to fly to your place (even if in Japan) to use it!

Regardless of my knee feeling like Laffy Taffy stretched to the extreme, God is continually good. My plate is full of writing work, and I'm busy in rehearsals for a film that shoots next month. I feel blessed in all of this. If nothing else, it lets me know that I have some unfinished business physically...and until I get that couch tester contract I've always dreamed of, I suppose that's a good thing!

2 comments:

Gregory Holman said...

Hmm, vexing. Hope your knee feels better before long. Hang in there.

Sheldon said...

Great to hear from you Greg Holman. I appreciate the encouragement!